ice

Roz Reports on the decision not to row the North Atlantic this year

I had hoped that this would be a final blog to bid farewell to dry land before we started our voyage across the North Atlantic. But if you’ve been following my blog over the last couple of weeks you will have noticed our growing concern about the unusually large quantities of ice off the coast of Newfoundland, largely due to the huge chunk of ice that broke off a Greenland glacier 2 years ago which has now drifted south into Canadian waters, breaking up into a minefield of icebergs as it goes.

Given our immovable deadline of reaching London in time for the start of the Olympics, we unfortunately don’t have the option to wait until the ice dissipates, which will take another couple of weeks at least. After much soul searching, it is with regret that we have come to the difficult decision to postpone our row for this year. The chances of hitting ice – and the serious consequences of a punctured hull in freezing North Atlantic waters – meant that the risk to our safety was simply unacceptable.

Read more

Roz takes a closer look at the North Atlantic ice situation

Yesterday I went out on a plane to check out the ice situation offshore. Despite a favourable forecast, Mother Nature decided to hide her icy secrets in an extensive layer of fog. After being in the air for over 5 hours, the only icebergs I was able to see were within half a mile of shore. Those further offshore were shrouded in mists and mystery, pending further visual investigation, I decided to do some research online.

Read more

Ice delays departure of the OAR

We had hoped to leave on Monday, but the ice continues to be a concern. So for now we have decided to postpone at least until Saturday May 19th, while we continue to monitor the ice situation.

Read more

Roz reports on ‘bergy bits’ off the coast of St John’s

Here is something I’ve never had to contend with before – bergy bits. They might sound cute, but these mini-icebergs, calved from larger icebergs further north, are causing no small amount of consternation in the OAR camp.

Read more

Press Release – Icebergs and strong winds delay departure of OAR

‘Safety remains paramount’, say rowers Roz Savage and Andrew ‘Mos’ Morris
as they prepare to set off on epic 2,200-mile expedition

 Monday (14) now seems earliest possible departure date, say weather advisers

Read more